Well, last week was an adventure. With it being the last
week of the transfer, for P-day last week we went to Tigre and went to a Pizza
Libre (all-you-can-eat pizza) as a zone. We ate a lot. I ate 10 pieces... I was
pretty proud because my record was 9... but Elder Jensen ate 18... so... he
won.
On Tuesday I got to go on exchanges with Elder Hansen, which
was pretty fun. We worked really hard and then at the end of the day bought
ice cream, so it was a pretty successful day.
Friday Ariel had his baptismal interview and it went
smashing. He was so prepared it was incredible. In all my time here in
Argentina I've never met a teenager quite like him. He's got such a strong
testimony and I'm positive he is going to stay active forever. He passed the
interview with flying colors and Elder Bobadilla said that he's never
interviewed someone so prepared. On Saturday however Ariel had to work from
5:30 pm to 7:30 am Sunday morning. However, he got home, showered, changed into
the suit that we had lent him and went to Stake Conference without sleeping at
all. After conference I had the privilege of baptizing him in very cold water.
He was so happy though I don't even think he noticed. He also got to shake
hands with Elder Christofferson after the conference, so he was really excited.
Then he went home, took a 40 minute nap and went to the farewells in San
Fernando with us. Poor kid, he hardly slept at all. He's awesome.
On Saturday we had a special mission conference with Elder
Christofferson presiding. Also present was his wife, Elder Christensen
(Presidency of the 70) and his wife, Presidente Gonzalez (President of the Area
South America South) and his wife, and about 3 other 70s. We got there almost 2
hours early to get a good seat and we still sat in the back, haha. It was a
conference with our mission and the Buenos Aires West mission. Elder
Christofferson and his wife, and Elder Christensen and his wife all spoke, and
they all spoke in spanish which was pretty cool. Elder Christofferson basically
speaks perfectly. Elder Christofferson spoke quite a bit on repentance and the
atonement being the central point of everything we do. It is the central point
of the gospel of Jesus Christ. As it says in Alma 7:7, "For behold, I say
unto you there be many things to come; and behold, there is one thing which is
of more importance than they all-- for behold, the time is not far distant that
the Redeemer liveth and cometh among his people." The coming of the Savior
and His atoning sacrifice are in the end the most important things that have
ever happened. It is ONLY through the healing power of the atonement that we
can be saved through the grace of Jesus Christ provided to us as we sincerely
repent. There are always things that we can change and do better. He also referred
to this scripture in regards to the second coming, which is also not far
distant. He said that in order for the Savior to come again He needs a people
that is prepared and worthy to greet Him and dwell with Him in the milennium.
How prepared are we? Would you be prepared if He came tomorrow? He also needs a
people big enough to dwell with him in the milennium, in regards to all of us
because we are ALL missionaries... what are you doing to help increase the
number of Latter Day Saints? He will come as soon as there are enough of us and
we are prepared and worthy to be with Him.
| Ariel at his baptismal service |
On Sunday Elder Christofferson also spoke quite a bit about
the atonement, but what struck me most was the power of his testimony in the
end of his talk. "Yo sé, por experiencia propia, que Jesucristo es un ser
resucitado." It was extremely powerful. Afterwards he said he would like
to shake hands with all of the children and teenagers... I would count... but I
have a badge on my chest... so I couldn't shake his hand. I did shake it 5
years ago though on a choir tour, so I guess it's fine.
Later on Sunday we went to the farewells in San Fernando and
I was able to see quite a few people from Constitución and even Beto from Pablo
Nogués! It was so nice to see him walk in in a shirt and tie. When he came up
to me afterwards he proudly told my friends from Pacheco that I am the one who
baptized him. It was so great to see him and know that he is doing well.
Last night we got the call that I would be leaving Pacheco.
It's usually pretty hard to leave the areas after you come to love the people
there, but I'm excited for the opportunity that I now have to be in Parque
Chacabuco. This ward was part of my first stake when I got there, but while
I've been here they already divided the stake and it's now part of the Parque
Chacabuco Stake, but the Stake President, Presidente Catala, is the same Stake
President that I had while I was in Constitución. It's part of capital and it
is huge, there are 8 missionaries in this ward, 6 elders and 2 sisters. I'm now
with Elder Long, who is from Pocatello, Idaho. It's a great area.
| Elder Garrett and Elder Long in Parque Chacabuco |
Que la fuerza les acompañe.
Love,
Elder John William Garrett
No comments:
Post a Comment